Ask a Dentist   »  

Does abscess in teeth cause sore throat,mucus,stuffed lungs and how can this be treated?

hello. I think I have abscessed wisdom teeth. They don't hurt, but there's clearly an abscess on each of the bottom wisdom teeth. Do you think this could be the reason that I am experiencing a sore throat/mucus in my throat/stuff in my lungs? How is this treated? What do I do?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, it can cause sore throat. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. I would like to tell you that wisdom teeth is vestigeal & doesn't help in mastication. If there is abscess in that tooth then you should go for extraction of tooth. Before going for extraction you should start with a course of Diclo-para-serratiopeptidase thrice a day along with amoxi-clav 625 twice a day for days. If not treated it may cause referred pain & sore throat. Visit your dentist & get it extracted as early as possible. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra