Does a quad result of 1:14 indicate an abnormality in my baby ?

I did the quad screen and the result came back 1:14, and I did a 3D ultra sound and the Dr told me my baby had a large tongue. does this confirm my baby has ds?

Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

The quad screen test is a maternal blood screening test that looks for four specific substances: AFP, hCG, Estriol, and Inhibin-A. It compares a number of different factors (including age, ethnicity, results from blood tests, etc...) and then estimates what a person’s chances are of having an abnormality. These tests DO NOT diagnose a problem; they only signal that further testing should be done.
The result of 1:14 is not highly indicative of a congenital defect. On 3D ultrasound only a slightly larger tongue is not associated with any serious congenital malformation.
You can go for repeat quad screen test at 21 weeks and if the results are even strongly positive then you may consider amniocentesis for further confirmation of diagnosis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.