Does a pea sized lump on right bicep need any immediate care ?

Hi, I apologize if you get these same questions everyday, but I just noticed a small pea sized lump on the bottom of my right bicep. Its on the front a little off to the right. I just did a strenuous arm workout the previous day if that makes a difference. It seems as if I can move the lump around a little, but it may just be due the tissue its moving around with. I've have one of these pea sized lumps under my chin and my dr told me not to worry about it. I realize going to a doctor would be recommended, but because of my hectic work schedule it's very tough at the moment so any insight would be greatly appreciated. When a doctor exams these pea sized lumps how do they know what may or may not be cancerous? Why was the previous one I had (and still have) nothing to worry about. Should I be worried? If i came into your office what would you tell me? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 35 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

I can appreciate your concern regarding the small bump which you described. Let me provide you with some information and reassurance.

With a strenuous workout including heavy lifting, the muscles demand alot of blood supply which can cause dilation of veins. On occasion there may be a small outpouching of one of the veins due to the workout and lifting stress. These generally resolve over 2 to 3 weeks and no intervention is necessary.

Another possibility is that this is a small benign cyst. Cysts can occur randomly from time to time and are not necessarily associated with any disease process. The cyst can be fluid filled or fat filled (lipoma). I think in your case the bump you feel is more likely a cyst or a dilated vein rather than a lymph node which is what you referred to in your neck previously.

I would advise that you do not palpate or disturb the lump for the time being. If you irritate the lump with touching or rubbing it may cause it to get larger. I expect this area to slowly resolve over the next few weeks. I want to reassure you that this is not something to worry about. This is not a lymphoma or cancer or anything along those lines.

Let me also say that I am happy to see you are enthusiastic about working out. Good weight training and aerobic activity will provide you with a lengthy and quality-filled life and I encourage you to continue to exercise.

Finally - regarding this lump - observe for now. If in 2 to 3 weeks it still persists you can have a doctor look it over. For now - no concern.

I hope my answer to your query has been both adequate and informative. should you have followups, I am available to answer them.

Dr. Galamaga