Does a pain in the testicle recur due to an old injury ?

Was injured in my testicles 2 weeks ago. Pain went away after about 3 days. About 5 days later I had intercourse with my wife and the next day my right testicle has some discomfort. Mostly when walking. This has been for the past 5 days. Could I just have rebruised the testicle? I have no insurance and don't have the money for an ultrasound or blood work. What should I be looking for to know if it's anything more than just bruised?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

I am not sure what the nature of the trauma to your testicle was - usually a fall or a kick or being hit with something in the groin area comprises the majority of testicular traumas. In any event, the usual natural course is that there can be some local swelling and inflammation and even possibly some bruising which can occur in the first 24 hours. This usually will resolve in a few days.

Sometimes, however, due to a number of factors including the location of the injury and proximity to blood vessels or lymphatic tissue - symptoms may persist. We could regard intercourse as a minor degree of trauma purely from the fact that the usual thrusting nature of this activity does have an impact on the scrotum and testes. With that being said, having intercourse even 5 days later could still aggravate the area or cause the inflammation to persist.

I would recommend that you give this some time to heal - at least 10 days. You might also try taking some warm soaks in the bathtub for 20 minutes once per day. The warm water will soothe the area and will contribute to the resolution of a minor degree of swelling.

More worrisome things would be if you had trouble urinating or if you saw blood in the urine or if you had a loss of sensation in the injured area. I am confident you will recover fully within the next couple of weeks.

I hope my answer has been both informative and adequate for you. If you have followup questions regarding this concern, I would be happy to address them. I wish you all the best and continued optimal health.

Dr. Robert Galamaga.