Does a lung nodule indicate cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
is a nodule in your lung cancer?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. A lung nodule, when first diagnosed, is often a cause of worry to the patient and doctor as until biopsy is done and pathological diagnosis is made, treatment cannot be decided. However, there are certain tell tale signs in a nodule which point towards a benign condition. I would like to discuss that with you and assure that its not something scary that you have in your lung. 1. A solitary pulmonary nodule is defined as a discrete, well-marginated, rounded opacity less than or equal to 3 cm in diameter which may be benign or malignant. Lesions larger than 3 cm are considered masses and are treated as malignancies until proven otherwise. 2. A doubling time of less than 1 month or longer than 18 months makes malignancy unlikely. If your nodule is not growing too fast then it is not too worrisome. 3. Chest radiographs may demonstrate calcification, which often indicates that the lesion is benign. 4. Border of the nodule: a well-defined, smooth edge may indicate a benign lesion. This is a technical point. As the above are technical factors that will be best understood by doing repeat Chest X ray or CT scan and comparing with earlier scans or radiographs. I would suggest you to get repeat Chest X ray done and discuss the need for a CT scan if necessary, for further evaluation. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Does a lung nodule indicate cancer? 18 hours later
I had an xray and a ct scan and my Doctor is sending me to a clinic that specialize in nodules. My Doctor did not mention cancer but I just thought about it later. I have COPD and I don't know if this new doctor is a pulmanoligist or a cancer doctor. I have an appointment on XXXXXXX 7th. This nodule has just shown up in the last two month. I was hospitalized two months ago with (I can't spell this) phnemonya in both lungs and had xray done then and it did not show up then. Please give me a phone number to your billing dept. cause they took out two 15.00 payments. Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. Pneumonia is an infective condition and is treated by medications. Without knowing the size, location, appearance of the nodule, it is difficult to say if it is a cancer nodule. I think this will be discussed in detail during your visit to the doctor soon. All possibilities must be considered when evaluating the nodule. You may write in to YYYY@YYYY and call us on +91-0000 Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek