Does a drug users who snort cocaine and other drugs are at risk of contracting HCV?

do drug users that snort coke and other drugs have a high risk of contracting HCV.
I am busy with a HCV blood collection research protocol in South Africa and need to find donors. I would like to know who is at risk. I recently did a blood draw from someone that I think got it from getting a tattoo. IDU is not a huge problem here but we have a lot of people that snort drugs in south africa.
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 37 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Yes, drug users who snort cocaine and other drugs are at high risk of contracting HCV can be, percutaneous, nonpercutaneous and sporadic.

Percutaneous transmission includes transfusion related, IDU, chronic hemodialysis, needlestick exposures.

Nonpercutaneous exposures sexual exposure and perinatal transmission.

Sporadic transmission includes occult or unidentified percutaneous routes, intranasal cocaine, tattooing and body piercing.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more question, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini