Does a drug have any effect on the blood tests of hives?

I’m in a pickle, scheduled for blood tests tomorrow for a aggressive condition of hives (see pic).

When it gets really bad ( all over my body) looks like this

and my heart starts pounding hard and fast. Will a Valium have that bad an effect on my blood work? I’m not sure I can hold out. I’ve been to ER twice in the last month.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 46 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

I would not consider Valium to interfere in the study planned on your blood.You can proceed on getting tested.

Well do inform your doctor about you being on Valium as in some rare chances Valium can also induce such hives due to allergic reaction to the drug component or the base present in the preparation ( supportive chemicals in the tablet ).

Your doctor has considered a diagnosis of Allergic dermatitis. I too feel the same to be the cause here as the rashes are typical.The tests he has advised may give some good insights into the exact cause for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Does a drug have any effect on the blood tests of hives? 47 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. About 20 years ago I was prescribed Valium for a period. I doubt it’s that.

The good news is, I think this attack is beginning to subside, I can tell, I’ve had this over a month. Almost everyday, completely random times. Comes and goes, 4-12 hours on average. 5 have been pretty severe. Tonight was close. A Valium helped the last 2 times.

I don’t expect you to diagnose this condition, just FYI.

Seems I won’t need that Valium tonight :)

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 48 minutes later
You are welcome,

Thanks for using this service.