Does a delayed period interfere with pregnancy test ?

Hi I was 3 days late for my period (25-29) took a pregnancy test yesterday morning (tesco brand) and got a faint line. Later on in the day I started getting pink CM with very little cramping. Then this morning dark red blood starting getting heavier! Took two more tests (advanced ultra hcg & first responce) which were negative. The blood is getting less heavy right now. I noticed very small blood clots also, iv been wearing a panty liner which doesn't get filled. No pain today my right boob is still sore to touch.

Do you think I could still be pregnant? Or was I even pregnant? Could this be my period 3 days late.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later

First diagnosis to be ruled out when a period is late is pregnancy.If your first test was faintly positive then there was a possibility that you were pregnant.But since the subsequent tests were negative then the first test appears to be a false positive.You probably got your periods delayed by 3 days which is common.
The reason i say this is because,if we take the first test to be positive and then you started bleeding,the common suspicion would be a miscarriage.However,pregnancy test remain positive for several days after an abortion till the hormone levels normalise gradually.The tests will not be negative immediately.

Hence the conclusion that the first test was a false positive.You have tried 3 different brands of home pregnancy tests and we should rely on 2 out of 3.
You can always take another test tomorrow and see if its positive/negative.If thats negative then dont worry.If this happens to be positive or faintly positive like the first test,i suggest you see your doctor and get an ultrasound.

Follow-up: Does a delayed period interfere with pregnancy test ? 4 hours later
Thanks for your answer.
The bleeding had started to become less heavy. I was wondering is there a possibility that the results could be wrong as I pee'd into a cup and not directly onto the HPT? & blood got into the sample of urine?

I'm unsure of how a test could read a false positive? It should only show a line if there is a HGC? And there was defiantly a line seen by 3 other people.

Thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later

False positive means there is some malfunction in the test itself. Not observer error. Thats why its recommended to use other brands.

I suggest that you take another test and confirm the negative test. If its negative then this was your period.

The test results shouldnt be affected by blood etc.