Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart or lung disease?

Question
Does a bulging neck vein ALWAYS mean something heart or lung disease?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 27 minutes later

Thank you for putting forward your query.

Swollen or enlarged neck veins have innumerable causes. Contemplating your age and medical history I could think of causes like, Heart disorders, Heart failure, Pericardial effusion, Constrictive pericarditis, Lung Tumors, Mediastinal tumors , Cardiac tamponade and Tension pneumothorax.

Apart from Bulging neck veins if you have any other symptoms like, breathlessness, chest pain, cough or blood in sputum you may want to get yourself evaluated in detail by a competent Cardiologist and a Chest Physician to arrive at the definitive cause meticulously.

Once this is done, your treatment plan will be devised accordingly. I advise you to stick to your treatment plan religiously and schedule regular follow-up visits to your Doctor regularly.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart or lung disease? 19 minutes later
So, are you saying that a bulging vein In my neck could only be something serious and nothing minor? everything that you've listed is fairly serious.I went to the ENT a couple of days ago because I have swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck due to an infection and he thought that maybe The vein was popping out on that side of the neck because of the swelling.I have one vein distended on the left side of my neck. is there anything non serious that it could be?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 21 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Enlarged neck veins are always something to be concerned about and I don't want you to press the panic button as yet, but just relax.

The cause could be found only after a comprehensive physical examination and indispensable investigations, just get yourself examined at the earliest.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart or lung disease? 48 minutes later
Could the swollen lymph nodes be causing the vein to
Pop out?

Thank you once again for writing back to me.

Swollen lymph nodes (Lymphadenopathy) and enlarged neck veins are not diseases by themselves but an index of the underlying disorder which have to be ruled out which I hope you will do it as soon as possible by consulting your Doctor.

All the Best.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.