Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
Does a bulging neck vein ALWAYS mean heart disease?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 11 hours later

Not necessarily, it can be due to multiple other reasons also. But by and large it generally represents significant underlying problem.

First and foremost it is likely to represent heart failure, other than that it can represent excess fluid in body with normal heart, obstruction to veins such as superior vena cava. Occasionally normal people especially people who exercise lot can have prominent veins.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 1 hour later
What are some other reasons besides heart. I have swollen lymph nodes on my left side from an infection. Is it possible that the swelling could be pushing it out? It's only at the bottom,

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

In the last reply at the end of the answer, I have mentioned other causes - excess fluid in the body, obstruction to veins, people who exercise a lot and so on.

Yes, you can have swollen lymphnode or any other lump transmitting the impulses. But a careful examination by a competent medical professional can differentiate transmitted impulse and venous pulsations.

Hope this answers all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 7 hours later
Would a person usually have other symptoms as well?
Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 21 minutes later
It's only on the left side of my neck near my collarbone. My ENT said to wait until the swelling went down, but I'm a nervous wreck. I might have had this forever, but never noticed. I can only see it if I manipulate my neck a certain way.

Then it must be lymph node itself and majority of the times it represents a part of infection and your ENT surgeon has asked you to wait. That's best thing to do.

I don't see a reason for you to be so much worried.

He said it was my jugular sticking out.....feel uncomfortable waiting, and I guess just want to know if the lymph nodes can make it pop out. He said it was a whole chain of lymph nodes down the side of my neck that were swollen. I had ekg and echo in XXXXXXX 2011. Everything checked out normal.
Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 8 hours later
Still waiting for your reply, thanks

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 hours later
Hello.

Yes lymph nodes can make your jugulars propped up.

If there is confirmation on lymph node enlargement you need to have worry or investigate on cardiac condition.

Hope this helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

I should worry? Lymph node is from throat infection. I looked at pics from 12 years back, and I had it then. Wouldn't I have had some symptoms of heart disease by then?

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 16 hours later
Hello.

No Sometimes lymph node enlargements can be persistent become sort of permanent.

But if you still so much worried please get echo done.

Hope, this information helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 5 hours later
Ok, had an echo. All normal, except he said there was an extremely mild abnormality that he didn't write in the report because it was do mild. The left ventricle didn't relax as much as should. He said echos aren't perfect, and that although slight abnormality, within normal range. Does that sound right? All else was good. Had an ultrasound on my jugular.....all checked out clear.
Follow-up: Does a bulging neck vein always mean heart disease? 28 hours later
Still waiting for an answer

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later

I apologise for the delay to answer your query.

Yes, it's normal.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Best wishes.