Does a abdominal CT without contrast of the pelvic area generally show kidney stones?

Excellent

Question
Does a abdominal ct without contrast of the pelvic area generally show kydney stones? If they are present, Or is there another area of the body that needs to be scanned ? Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes can be seen. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Kidney stones can be easily seen with Non Contrast CT Scan (NCCT); contrast is not essentially required. However to be specific, one needs NCCT KUB (kidney,ureter and bladder) to see for stones, but they are picked up incidentally on routine CT Abdomen is done including kidneys. I hope I am able to solve your query. If you have any other query, ask me. Regards

Follow-up: Does a abdominal CT without contrast of the pelvic area generally show kidney stones? 15 minutes later
Is it possible to seem them during a cystoscopy at the urologist office as well ?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stones in ureter and bladder can be seen Detailed Answer: Yes, stones can be directly visualized in ureter and urinary bladder during cystoscopy, and can be even crushed and removed , stenting can be done if required. If you don't have any further queries , please close the discussion and rate the answer. Stay Healthy

Follow-up: Does a abdominal CT without contrast of the pelvic area generally show kidney stones? 9 hours later
Does a pelvic ct also show the kydneys as well ? Or is that a differnt ct to see that ? Sorry this was my last question.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes pelvic ct shows kidney. Detailed Answer: Yes a pelvic ct shows up kidneys too , its outline , shape , parenchyma ,, and even stones in the kidneys would also be visible. If you don't have further queries , please close the query and rate the discussion. Stay Healthy