Does a TSH test include T3 and T4 tests? Had overactive thyroid, taken carbimazole and norethisterone

Hi, I have not had a period since XXXXXXX and normally I am on every 28 days without fail apart from when I had an overactive thyroid. In May 2012 I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and 9 mths of carbimazole later, everything returned to normal. My periods were back to 28 day cycle since July 2011. The GP has prescribed Norethisterone for 10 days when stops this weekend to kick start my cycle. I have had a TSH test which came back normal. Does a TSH test include T3 and T4 tests? I definitely feel like I have swung the other way in terms of my throid; weight gain, hair loss (on head), gained facial hair, tired, feeling the cold etc.

I suffer from PSPD (platelet storage pool disorder). Diagnosed with reactive arthritis in 2007 and was on prednisolone and salazopyrin for a year. I have had asthma since childhood.

Sorry, I am female not male and my overactive thyroid was diagnosed in May 2010 and not May 2012 as I typed above
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So from what you are saying, you are actually on the right path in terms of your thinking. You are correct that problems related to hyperthyroidism often evolve into hypothyroidism as the thyroid gland "burns out". This can lead to some of the symptoms you are describing. In answer to your question, the TSH test does not include the free thyroid hormone levels. These should be checked including test of thyroid antibodies.

The effect that thyroid disease has is irregular or absent ovulation. This leads to skipped periods and unpredictable bleeding. It is not unusual to use progesterone to induce a period, but the underlying cause must be explored and treated.

The hair loss and coarse hair growth that you are describing can also be related to a condition called PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is associated with excess androgen levels and non-ovulatory cycling. There are additional labs that can be done to assess whether this is a factor.

I hope this helps! - DR. XXXXXXX