Does a 180 degree rotation cause muscle sprain with discolored skin ?

Question
I was standing and turned 180 degrees. The back of my right calf pulled and popped, like a rubber band was strung from the top to the bottom of the back of the muscle and had caught on something about midway down then "popped' off. I went down immediately. Crawled in the house, put my calf on an ice pack. I noticed the back of my leg felt like a burn. I was unable to put any weight on my leg for days. Skin continued to feel burned while on an ice pack or in the shower. Calf was swollen and skin discolored, not from a bruise so much, but from charred skin. The burn was not round or oval and had very uneven edges and even finger like shapes. Watery blisters appeared and some scabbing. After 2 weeks, muscle is much better, and burned tissue is slowly flaking away. What in the world happened. I'm 50, female and in very good health. Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 47 minutes later

You could have probably had severe muscle strain following the rotation movement you had.

If that was severe that could produce severe pain, swelling and redness of skin.

If you have applied ice pack over it continuously with out spacing it would occur this way.

It would lead to vasoconstriction of the blood vessels of that region and would lead to necrosis of the skin.

It presents as skin discoloration.

Even severe stretching of muscle would cause a hematoma of subcutaneous tissues which would cause gangrene of the superficial skin deprived of blood supply.

It is good that the symptoms have come down and you are feeling better now.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Does a 180 degree rotation cause muscle sprain with discolored skin ? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I was mindful about 20 minutes on the ice pack and 1 hour off, and repeating. It thought perhaps mild frost bite perhaps, but would that or your answer result in water blisters, scabbing and skin dead skin?

Sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 35 minutes later

Yes frost bite would have caused blisters and scabbing.

Be careful hereafter.

It is advisable to rush to a hospital in case of such traumatic situations.

Hope I have answered your query.