Does X-ray report of chest confirms of having calcification?

May 2014

Hi. Can you please examine my chest xray if I send the image? I have taken this xray a month ago and then doctor says all clear. But yesterday I went to see another doctor who said I have calcifications. I would like to understand if my previous (attached hereto) xray doesn't show any calcifications because previous doctor said all is clear?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later

This is Dr.Vivek Chail, a Radiologist with 10 years experience is answering your query.
Thanks for writing in and sending a screen picture of your chest X XXXXXXX dated 2013-04-14.
Though the X XXXXXXX is not showing the upper and lower chest regions adequately, I hope to clear your queries on presence of calcification.

Going by what is seen,
There are some very tiny white spots in the hilar regions on both sides of chest. This is a digital X XXXXXXX and nowadays even the smallest detail is highlighted. These spots are indeed end on views of the bronchovasculature as we call them in radiology terms. Hence you need not worry for them.
The visualized lungs are clear and free from any abnormalities. The heart shadow is fairly in mid line and its contour looks normal.
The domes of diaphragm are not included (in the screen image), so I am unable to comment on that.
Visualized portions of trachea, clavicles and thoracic cage are normal.

Final opinion: Your chest X XXXXXXX dated 2013-04-14 appears normal.
Hope this helps
Further inquiries are welcome.
Follow-up: Does X-ray report of chest confirms of having calcification? 54 minutes later
So there is no any calcification seen on the report?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later

There are no calcifications in the lungs on the X XXXXXXX picture sent by you.

Further enquiries welcome.
Dr. Vivek
Follow-up: Does X-ray report of chest confirms of having calcification? 1 hour later
This is the 2nd xray which i took yesterday (just got it). Can you please see this and say if there are any changes in this and if there is any calcification now? Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Thanks for sending your latest chest x rays.
There is no significant change as compared to x XXXXXXX dated 2013-04-14.
There is no lung calcification. The blood vessels supplying the lungs are creating a false appearance due to endon view.
Please let me know why you got 2 x rays done and what problem you are presently having.
Also let me know any medicines that you are taking.
Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for clarifiction. I was having night sweats occasionaly, been sleepy and felt fatique and slight discomfort in my shoulder blade for a month. I decided to see a pulmonologist again, but in dfferent hospital which was yesterday. He took an xray and said that he sees some calcification and asked me if I ever had tb, I said no. Then he ordered ct scan to rule out bronchoecstasis. I was a bit confused because my previous doctor said my xray is ok. My father died of lung cancer and I am very hypochondriac about this.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 27 minutes later
You are most welcome with your queries.

It is most unfortunate that your father had lung cancer.
Going by your X rays, certainly I could not find any feature of lung cancer.
Also you have not mentioned any cough, change in voice, blood in sputum or weightloss, any swellings, features which are seen in cancer.

I have myself worked in a large cancer hospital and seen lots of lung cancer patients myself.
Please be assured that you don't have any thing to do with lung cancer.

A CT scan will show the lung in much greater lung. Bronchiectasis is a problem where theend branches of airways in the lungs get slightly swollen up. I will not stop you from going for CT scan chest if you want to get it done for peace of mind.

At the same time, your fatigue, night sweats and sleepiness needs to be investigated.
You could get the routine blood tests and preferably an ultrasound scan of your abdomen.

Hope everything is clear to you.
Follow-up: Does X-ray report of chest confirms of having calcification? 20 minutes later
All my blood tests have come up ok except for elevated liver enzymes, and further hep c virus was found in my blood. My symptoms would relate to this hep c, but my question was why all of a sudden would they come up if I contrcted this virus maybe long time ago. The only exposure I might have is at dentist's in december. You will not believe but I have seen 4 doctors and couldn't find reasonale explanation to my fatique. I live in Dubai where doctors seem to order all unnecessary tests possible as insurance covers all. But this lung cancer thing has made me very anxious as I read that fatique can be the early symptom of lung cancer. Thanks for your insight as I feel more relieved now.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.