Does Uroscol 300 cause increase in SGOT and SGPT levels ?

hi doctor,my father is on medication for hepatitis a. he is taking ursocol 300.His bilirubin count has come down.But his sgot and sgpt counts have again increased after initially decreasing.Is the increased count because of ursocol?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Does Uroscol 300 cause increase in SGOT and SGPT levels ? 1 minute later
Can my father take liv-52 along with the prescribed medicines?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Ursocol is a drug which increases conjugated bilirubin and helps in excretion of bile and cholesterol from our body thus decreasing the jaundice. It is not metabolised in liver and is the only FDA approved drug for primary liver cirrhosis.

It decreases the raised liver enzyme levels back to normal.

The levels of SGOT and SGPT may wax and wane in acute hepatitis. They do take at least 15 days to settle back to normal after the infection has subsided.

Yes, your father can safely take LIV-52 along with the prescribed medicines as LIV-52 is a hepatoprotective and will only help in early remission of hepatitis but please do discuss this with your treating doctor who has analysed the problem better.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.