Does Tramadol lead to appetite loss and intestinal discomfort?

I take tramadol for pain at night and have noticed a marked decrease in appetite and some intestinal discomfort. Is this a normal reaction?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes ma'am, you are quite right Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes ma'am, you are right. Tramadol has various side effects on the entire gastrointestinal tract (GIT). For your reference I shall list some of the most common side effects of the medication, they are: -Abdominal bloating -Abdominal fullness -Chest pain or heartburn -Indigestion -Pain in the abdominal region, back or on the sides -Nausea -Vomiting -Abdominal cramping -Change in eating habits -Altered appetite and a few other less common symptoms. Do not worry about this side effect ma'am, as it shall subside once you discontinue the medication. But if you intend on taking this medication for a long duration of time, and the current side effects are causing you some discomfort then you could report them to your prescribing doctor who will either help relieve your symptoms or change your prescription. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you ma'am. Best wishes.