Does Stress fracture lead to swollen legs, cold, blue feet and numb toes?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I SENT A HEALTH QUERY IN SEPTEMBER 5,2012 TO YOU DR XXXXXXX AND I AM THE XXXXXXX SYNDROME POST POLIO SYNDROME WITH THE LEG AND FEET SWELLING , I HAVE HAD A STRESS FRACTURE SINCE IN RIGHT FOOT. WENT TO FOOT DR AND THE X RAY WAS BETTER AFTER TWO WEEKS BUT MY FEET ARE NOW MORE SWOLLEN AS ARE MY LEGS LEGS. MY FEET GET COLD AND BLUE AND TOES NUMB. SHOULD I GO SEE MY NEUROLIGIST. I WEAR SOCKS TO BED AND DURING DAY - REGULAR SOCKS. I CAN NOW GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS WITHOUT FOOT FEELING LIKE IT WILL GIVE WAY. STRESS FRACTURE CAME ABOUT AROUND THANKSGIVING. DO NOT KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need investigations Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query and I remember you from your previous query that you had about the swollen legs.I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Its really unfortunate that you have landed up with a stress fracture although it reassuring that the x-rays are showing an improvement. The fracture will cause swelling in only one leg that is involved. The fact that both the feet are swollen suggests that the swelling is not related to the fracture. The common causes for the swelling in both the feet after a fracture are: 1) Anemia- Need to get a complete blood count done to look for the hemoglobin. 2) Liver failure:Liver function test - Reduced proteins / albumin can cause such a swelling. 3)Renal Morbidity: renal function test- reduced clearance from the kidneys cause water to accumulate in the feet. 4) Deep Vein Thrombosis- The fact that you had a fracture suggests that probably you were recumbent for a long period. This increase the risk of DVT in such cases. This will require a Doppler test of the veins. So basically the cause needs to be investigated. You will have to get a Complete Blood Count, Liver Function test, Renal Function Test, and Doppler study of the deep veins done. These investigations will guide us in identifying the cause of the swelling. Meanwhile keep using the elastic socks that you were using previously. You can see a neurologist who can evaluate you with all these test but a general internal medicine physician would be a better choice to show to. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.