Does Seroquel used for insomnia also help depression?

Hi I have been taking fast acting Seroquel 300 mg for insomnia for about 3 years. I also take Cymbalta. I have gone off before for short periods and besides having trouble sleeping, I think I feel depressed when not on it. I do not have bipolar or postmodernism (phonetic). Does Seroquel also help with depression?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seroquel can help with depression... Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query. Seroquel (Quetiapine) is a medication belonging to a group called anti-psychotics. It is usually used to treat psychotic disorders. Sometimes, it is also used as an add-on medication to treat depression, when depression is severe or when the response to antidepressants has been poor. Seroquel also has sedative properties i.e. it can help with sleep problems. Cymbalta (Duloxetine) is an anti-depressant medication. Since you are on a combination of an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic, it is possible that you must have had a severe depression or a depression which did not respond well to anti-depressants alone. Since you also must have had sleep problems, your doctor must have decided to start you on Seroquel. Now, it is definitely not a good idea to stop Seroquel abruptly and on your own. Besides resulting in sleep problems, there is also a risk of relapse of depression. In case you are having any problems with the medication and would like to stop it, this has to be done only after consulting your doctor and only very gradually. Wish you all the best. Regards, Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar Consultant Psychiatrist