Does Propysalic NF lotion reduce patches?

Iam 34 years old, having back patches around the fore head, nose, around eyes.
iam applying propysalic NF lotion at night, & applying Sunscreen 60 in day. still back patch is not reduced. If I stop using this cream, I getting itches causes a redness, becomes like a small wound.

Pleas ehelp me
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later
Hi Mahendravarman,

Thank you for the query,

First and foremost I need to tell you that Propysalic NF lotion should NEVER be used on the face. It is very potent steroid which is meant for eczema over body parts and not for the face.

Secondly, it also contains salicylic acid 3% which again should never be used on face. I am sure this would not have been prescribed by a dermatologist.

Any way, kindly stop using this on face .It has lot of side effects which you have already mentioned. We often come across such cases where chemist or druggist would dispense such cream to patients without any prescription from the doctor.

My humble request is not to apply such creams on face without proper consultation by a dermatologist.

Propysalis has high potential to damage your face if used for long. It can cause steroid induced pimples ,fine lines on face, capillaries or redness of face (called ROSACEA), itching on face if discontinued, atrophy & wrinkling of skin over face where it is applied. What you have developed is called STEROID INDUCED ROSACEA.

Now after stopping this lotion you would get itching and burning sensation on face with redness.This would take long time to recover .Start using a good spf medicated sunscreen daily thrice.You also need a oral antibiotic like macrolide to reduce your pimples (if you have).To reduce the redness and itching you need to apply tacrolimus cream locally twice a day.This cream is the only cream which can help you good ,but needs to be used long .Oral retinoids would also work good in such cases.

For you dark patches on face ,there are lot of other safe creams.You can even get a chemical peel from a dermatologist. But since you have started developing rashes induced by propysalic ,so this would not be the right time.Once your rosacea is cured then you can go for chemical peels.

I would advice you to kindly XXXXXXX a dermatologist and discuss your problem in detail.

I hope I've answered your query, if you have any further questions kindly write back to us.