Does Primolute N tablets lead to severe mood swings and bloating?

Hi I am 47 and till about a couple of years ago I had regular periods. But since the last two years I have excessive and continued bleedib which used to last for a month,, I have done 2 DnC's which didnt help much. Now for the past 7 months I have been taking Primolute N tablets 10 days continuously for a month and my periods have become regular. But I exoerience severe mood swings and bloated feelings while I am on the medication.I would like to know if these are side effects of the medicine and also whether I will have any other permanent side effects due to taking these tabs continuously.. Now its been 7 to 8 months since I am on primolute N. Is it safe to continue taking it . Please answer my queries doctor
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you thatprimolute N contains norethisterone which is commonly used for the treatment of various medical conditions, such as uterine bleeding, endometriosis, and menorrhagia . Since it is a hormonal preperation it is known to cause mood swings and bloating although less commonly . There are no permanent side effects but still you should be cautious about a few like if you experience first time severe migraine for first time , any tingling in the body , any first time seizures , liver dysfunctions , any sudden swelling over feet etc. What you are experiencing are minor side effects and you should continue Primolute . But if you feel it is problematic you can consult your treating doctor regarding this . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Does Primolute N tablets lead to severe mood swings and bloating? 27 hours later
Thank you so much for the prompt reply... Just yesterday there was an article in the the TIMES OF INDIA that the hormone projestrogen causes breast cancer... This is the hormone present in primolute n. So is this a cause to worry... The cause of my excessive bleeding is endometriosis..I do not have any overy cysts.please tell me if it is safe to continue using primolute n.The aricle was a bit scary.. please advice..
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Whenever any drug is there it has both good effects and side effects , yes there exists a slight risk for breast cancer but you have to weigh the benefits vs. side effects . In my opinion you should continue with it as your treating doctor has suggested you . Dr. Shruti