Does Pentaxim with Rotavirus vaccination cause UTI?

hi, my son is 3.5 months old. He had Pentaxim + Rotavirus vaccination done on 20th Feb 2014 and all of a sudden on 21st he got high fever(103F). upon examination dr. suggested to have urine examination done. report shows 10-12 pus cells with leukocyte esterase 3+. dr. suggested a course of antibiotic for 10 days. Culture report indicates E.Coli in 10e3.Again on 25th got a routine urine test done in which pus cells got reduced to 3-5 with occasional rbc. Is this the side effect of Painless Pentaxim or what. i am confused. Please also share ur suggestion on the report we got.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urinary tract infection unrelated to vaccination Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Urinary tract infection is just a coincidental thing which has occurred and is not related to vaccination. Pentaxim vaccine is not known to cause urinary tract infection. One of the commonest cause of urinary tract infection is tight prepucial skin. I would suggest you to get Ultrasound of abdomen done to rule out any anatomical abnormality of the urinary tract which predisposes to Urinary tract infection. If the Ultrasound abdomen is normal then there is no cause for concern. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: Does Pentaxim with Rotavirus vaccination cause UTI? 44 hours later
maam, got usg done fpr my son of kidney nd ub and reports are ok as per the radiologist nd our consulting paed. but doctor has asked to go for mcu test after 3 weeks. kindly advice shd we go for this nd its importance.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: MCU may not be necessary in normal usg Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings I discussed the case of your son with my husband who is a Pediatric Surgeon and routinely manages urinary tract infection. Micturition cystourethrogram is not recommended if the ultrasound clearly demonstrates absence of bladder thickening, no dilatation of Ureter and posterior Urethra and a normal renal ultrasound. Prepucial separation with good local hygeine prevents future urinary tract infection. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD