Does Oxycodine and Morphine causes disorientation,dizziness and breathing difficulty?

Question
My aunt had surgery on 1-14-14 for a tibia plateau. She now has titanium pins, etc. The doctor put her on oxycodine and time release morphine for pain. When she wakes up she is disoriented, can't breathe, dizzy, heart races and down right mean. Is this a side effect of the medication?
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are quite right Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. You are quite right sir/ma'am. Both oxycodone and slow-release morphine are strong pain management medications. In most orthopedic surgeries, and especially the one your aunt went through, the pain is unbearable for the first few weeks. But with early rehabilitation and physiotherapy, the pain gradually subsides and these strong pain management medications are no longer required. I personally feel that these can be replaced with milder pain management medications, which will suit her requirements and also not have such undesired side effects. Please speak to her doctor about he same. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Does Oxycodine and Morphine causes disorientation,dizziness and breathing difficulty? 15 minutes later
Is it possible for an increased chance of respiratory depression due to the pain subsiding and possibly not needing such a high dose as when she first had surgery? She just completed her follow up appointment last Wednesday, but the dosages weren't lowered yet. Although I am highly concerned. Throughout the day she is fine, but once she goes to sleep it is different. She is scared, confused, mean, or can't breathe and hrr heart is racing. I do not know how to tell the doctor this. Do I just call his office? She would be furious, as I am not her, and "can't feel her level of pain." But I am afraid its just too much for her system. I read not to cut the pills because it could send too much meds to her system at one time. What would spacing out the doses do? Could it help or would she start to withdraw?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Shallow breathing is a common side effect Detailed Answer: Hello once again. Yes, shallow breathing or mild respiratory depression is a side effect of both medications. You will have to explain to your aunt that she cannot remain dependent on these medications, and for a successful recovery she will have to train hard and put her all into rehabilitation. I have not seen you mentioning any physiotherapy been given to your aunt? If she is not been given physiotherapy and is been continued to be given such strong pain management medication, this is a very wrong approach. Spacing her medications will still deliver the same amount of the pill at the end of the day. So, increasing physical activity, exercises and physiotherapy should been strongly initiated which will help deal with the pain, and the pain medications can then be gradually withdrawn. I hope this information helps you sir/ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.