Does Meftal syrup cause stomach ache ?

Dear Doctor

I am 32 years Old female.First day of my period i get stomach ache for which i take "MEFTAL -SPAS". I am taking this medicine from last 6 years.
Is there any side effect of this medicine on fertility as i am trying to get pregnanat?
Will there be any consequences in getting pregnanat afet 30?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 18 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Dysmennorhoea or painful periods are very common and if they are very severe then they can be due to any underlying abnormality as Fibroids,PID,Endometritis etc.

Meftal Spas which you have been taking contains Mefenamic Acid and is a usual medication prescribed for such pain.It does not affect the fertility but it is important to rule out the cause of such pain.You can also use Hot Compresses for relief.

Regarding the pregnancy as woman gets older the chances of having problems and complications during pregnancy keeps on rising.After the age of 35 even defects in the baby are also possible as the quality of eggs released also declines.

It is advisable to plan a pregnancy before 35.You can get a USG scan done to rule out any disorder.

If you are trying to conceive:
1)Start taking Folic Acid supplement once daily as they are to be taken pre conception for 3 months and then continued.
2)Have regular intercourse during ovulation days which are 9 to 16 days in a normal 28 to 30 day cycle.
3)While having intercourse keep a pillow under your hips for better penetration.
4)Have healthy well balanced diet.
5)Do any form of exercise as walking,Yoga daily.
5)Drink lots of water and avoid stress.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.