Does Marijauna cause epileptic attacks?
User rating for this question
I am a patient of epilepsy. Though my condition has been under control of late. I have had only 3 episodes in the last 2 years. And in the last two episodes I was under the influence of Marijuana. Does Marijauna cause epileptic attacks? Because my Valproic acid level is normal. Am I am under Sodium Valporate tablets since last 10 years.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Marijauna unlikely the cause... Detailed Answer: Hi, I see you have posted this question to a neurologist. I am a physician associated with Department of Neurology for more than 3 years and worked with many epilepsy patients. Since your query has been unattended for sometime now, I shall take this opportunity to answer it. Well, there are no robust clinical studies that proves cannabis (active ingredient of marijuana as a cause of seizure. Therefore I do not think cannabis was a reason directly. Further if valproate level was well under therapeutic index, that should have prevented convulsion what ever may have been the precursor. If the last episode was a recent one, I feel your neurologist should consider using a second anticonvulsant after performing an EEG. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
People also viewed
- Tablet livogen iron concentration
- What causes epileptic seizures
- Causes of epileptic fits
- Non-epileptic attack disorder
- What is the remedy for a sore leg
- Can i take methylprednisolone for bad cough
- Lichenoid drug reactions due to metformin
- Ears ringing after smoking weed
- Nimhans for epileptic attack
- How to treat side effects of pancreatitis
- Loprin 75 mg during pregnancy?
- Need medication for 3 liver condition and severe fatigue
- What is the remedy for galactorrhea
- Does marijauna cause epileptic attacks
- Will gallbladder be removed if moderately distended