Does MRI reports of spine indicates to be serious?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have the following report from my MRI, is the condition very serious in nature? 1. Diffuse disk bulge with cetral protrusion at L4-5 level along with bilateral facet joint and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing narrowing of the lateral recesses and impingement of the transversing L5 nerve roots. 2. Moderate right neural foraminal narrowing at L4-5 level which may cause impingement of the exiting right L4 nerve root.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can become serious. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your MRI report suggestive of of Disc bulge with narrowing of neural foramina at L4-L5 level. This condition can become serious in nature if not properly treated. Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. Having known this basic anatomy, you must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc. The medications will relieve pain and help muscles to relax. Physiotherapy shall also help a lot, especially exercises that strengthen your back. Kindly note that exercises only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Does MRI reports of spine indicates to be serious? 5 minutes later
Dear sir, Thanks you for the quick response. I am undergoing physiotherapy and taking medicines as prescribed by doctor. The pain has come down since last 2 days. However, my body is tilted towards the right from hips. Is the condition serious at the moment which demands surgery?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need for urgent surgery at this moment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Your body tilted towards the right from hips could occur due to muscle spasm. If you responded well with medicines and physiotherapy, there is no need for urgent surgery at this moment. Warm regards.
Follow-up: Does MRI reports of spine indicates to be serious? 43 hours later
hope many days of bed rest should I take? and can I resume driving or normal activities?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Take 3-5 days bed rest Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You should take 3-5 days bed rest. After that you can resume normal activities with precautions which I had mentioned earlier. During driving you can use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles.