Does Losartan HCTZ taken for hypertension cause body odour?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...About 6 weeks ago I came down with the flu, both intestinal and respiratory. Had some severe vomiting for about 8 hours and became dehydrated. the respiratory symptoms persisted for about two weeks and during this time, I had a few episodes of having a strange odor appear. At the time I thought it may be a sinus infection. It finally went away and about two weeks ago, the same smell reappeard and is now constant. It seems to be coming from my pores, when I urinate and when I have a bowel movement. No other symptoms have appeared. No weight loss or weight gain, no pain, fever, dizziness etc. I have not added any supplements to my daily regimine and my diet is pretty much the same. I tried changing deodorant and after shave and the smell still persisits. The only thing that has changed is that I was taking Avelide for hypertension and my insurance company changed over to Losartan HCTZ. I am 59 years old and have no health problems except for the hypertension. Have searched medical journals and have come up with Zip! Any ideas? I cannot really put my finger on the smell. Really odd!
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

I would not consider the flu you had 6 weeks prior could be by any chance directly linked to the body odor now,except that you may be having chronic sub-clinical sinusitis which also is a side effect of Losartan.I could think this being the first considerable cause in you .I suggest you to use nasal decongestants like NASIVION which will reduce the sinus congestion and probably bring down the odor.Also get examined by a ENT specialist to rule out associated conditions like Ozaena which could such symptoms.

If you are sweating more that could be a likely cause for the odor , the sweat when mixes with the bacteria or fungus present in the atmosphere will produce such smell.I would advice you to apply Dusting powders containing Neosporin for the same. This will also keep you skin healthy.

Other common cause which can present with bad body odor is deficiency of Vitamin C.Do consume foods like citrus fruits which are abundant in vit c.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.