Does Iron Infusions contain iodine?

Hi Doctor, I have Alpha One Anti-Trypsin deficiency & Marfans disease. After 5 major Neurosurgical spinal surgeries since August 2012 I have very low Iron levels (lost many litres blood but not given plasma bec too problematical w my history) & I am having allergic reactions to Ferrous Sulphate Tabs because, i suspect I am very allergic to IODINE (had analphylaxis during IVP 30 yrs ago) which is in this compound. The nature of my allergic reaction is acute itching all over & an acute outbreak of bubbly fungal infection - mainly behind ears, on neck on fingers and lower arms. This has occurred since being prescribed 2 Iron Tabs per day. At the end of this month I am scheduled for an IV Iron Infusion at my Gastro-Enterologists Rooms. I need to clarify whether the current Iron Infusions on the Market contain Iodine? Any of your feed-back would be appreciated. Thank You XXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No worries. IV parenteral iron is a good choice Detailed Answer: Good Day XXXX! My name is Dr S XXXXXXX and i would like to help you regarding your concern for iron preparations and iodine in them. Miss XXXXXXX Iron does not have iodine in it in any available preparation. Orally it is combined to sulphates and Parental iron preparations are used when orally administration is failed some how as in your case. So i want you not to worry about any thing and simply mention it to your gastroenterologist about your iodine allergies and you will be fine. Iron themselves once administered at a faster rate can cause some discomfort but that is easily manageable and should be slowly transfused. You can request your gastroenterologist for the Ferumoxytl a new carbohydrate coated Intra venous preparations, they are good and less troublesome. Miss XXXXXXX you had many major surgeries and a lot of blood loss superseded by your geriatric age limits so you really need iron supplements and this parenteral iron is best for you. Stay in touch with your gastroenterologist and let them help you with their expertise. You are in safe hands with nothing to worry about. Hope this Answer finds you in good health Miss XXXXXXX KIndly close the discussion please and rate the answer as per your experience. Have a good day and may the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr S XXXXXXX