Does Fluovaxamine cause drop in WBC levels?

My WBC dropped from a baseline of 4.5 to 3.9 on my recent exam. Specifically, the lymphocyte dropped from my baseline of 1.4 to 1.5 down to 1,006 (total count). I know this is still in the normal range, but right at the lowest end of the reference range of 1.0 to 4. I started taking the generic of Luvox in XXXXXXX 2013...this is when I started to see a drop - ending with the 1.0 reading. I see this could be a side effect WWW.WWWW.WW Is it a terminal or if I stop will my levels return to normal? Looking back over my records I did have a 1.1 reading while living in Dallas...there low end range was 0.7 (not sure why that lab would have a lower range on this value). Is this low WBC and low normal reading of lymphocytes of any concern?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to worry Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The values that you have mentioned are mostly within normal range and the drop of values that you have mentioned is also not very significant. Infact this much difference can come due to machine/technical errors as well. There is no need to worry as of now. As a caution you may get a complete blood count done after a week again. Fluovaxamine is a good drug. Although blood side effects is mentioned, it is very rare and I have never come across this side effect among my patients on fluovoxamine in my 7 years of experience. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Does Fluovaxamine cause drop in WBC levels? 45 minutes later
Thank you. My concern is the drop in this critical white blood cell from my baseline of 1.5 or so down to 1.0 / the very bottom of the reference range. The drop seems to line up with starting Luvox. In fact i was tested on 6/7/14 and my lymphocytes was 1.4...i started Luvox that day and on 6/14/14 i was tested again and it dropped to 1.1. The test was For something different. I found this in my research since the last test a couple weeks back trying figure out why my wbc dropped. Now this cell is at 1.0. So this is of no concern? I have no issues that i am aware of only my wbc at 3.9 and this cell at the low end if the normal range. My wbc baseline is around 4.5. What benign reasons would cause a drop? I know the serious ones At what level is to low for wbc and lymphocytes? Any need for futher tests or followup prior to my next annual physical? I do appreciate your time and expertise. .
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Not to worry at this stage Detailed Answer: Hello Please believe in me, and there is still no need to worry at this stage. Total WBC count below 3500 and Lymphocyte count below 0.7 are a cause of worry. Nothing above that need to be worried about. As a caution, you may get a repeat CBC done 2 weeks later. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Does Fluovaxamine cause drop in WBC levels? 5 hours later
Could a vitamin deficiency lower lymphocytes? If so what vitamins? Is this level of lymphocyte readingcommon?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes it is common Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up query. Yes this kind of lymphocyte reading is commonly seen with no symptoms. Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to low lymphocyte count but there is mostly pancytopenia. (All counts are reduced) Hope this helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD