Ask a Urologist   »  

Does 'Flomax' help in passing big red flake in urine?

Jul 2016

I am male. I have been known to occasionally pass one or more red flakes in my urine. I can feel them pass down the urethra. I had a series of tests a year ago and nothing was found. Today there seems to be one big enough to block the urethra at what I assume is the bladder exit. Will Flomax allow it to pass?
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be disqumated epitheilial with blood. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are passing red flakes in urine occasionally . I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.. 1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like increased frequency,urgency,poor stream , nocturnal frequency etc ? 2) Have you ever done urine culture and what was the result ? 3) Do you have pain in abdomen ? Most likely this could be due to either UTI or Enlarged Prostate. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done under his guidance to help in diagnosis. 1) Urine Routine and urine culture. 2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen 3) Ultrasound scanning with rectal probe. 4) Serum P.S.A. If necessary he may do endoscopic examination of urethra and Bladder (Cysto-Urethroscopy). Flomax will not help in passing a flake . Just drink more water and let your bladder fill completely .Passing a urine with force will help to pass the flake. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.