Does E. coli develop in human body naturally?

E Coli 0157---

I have read that E Coli 0157 is not NATRUALY found in human instestines or feces. It seems the source is certain animal intestines. Of course, this could spread from animal to water. vegetables, humans ect.

Assuming someone does not have an active E Coli 0157 infection, then it would not be possible for them to spread E Coli 0157 through there feces to another person correct?

I say this because if if does not naturally occur in humans, then the only way a human could spread this specific strain through these feces is if they had an active infection, which of course they had to get from another source such as meats, vegetables, or a human who had an active infection.

Basiclly my question is, you cannot get the 0157 strain from another humans feces, unless they were currently infected with it (which of course would be pretty clear)

Thank you
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you are absolutely correct!

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you cannot get the E Coli O 157 strain from another humans feces, unless they were currently infected with it !!!

Sure, the bacteria are not naturally found in human intestine and it causes diarrhea to humans following ingestion of contaminated undercooked beef, milk and from various water sources.

There are few cases where the bacteria are found asymptomatically in animal intestines, and are shed in their feces.

Person-to-person transmission can occur if infected people do not wash their hands after using the toilet.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Dr Hari Om Chandrakar