Does Depakote ER have any side effect on pregnancy ?

Question
I am five and a half weeks pregnant (LMP 6/2/11). I was 750 mg of Depakote ER up until 7/6/11. What are the chances my baby has a birth defect? I realize that the neural tube forms around 4 weeks, which was when I stopped taking the medication. I am very worried about the child, and am considering terminating the pregnancy because of the exposure to the Depakote.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 9 hours later

Valproic acid is folate antagonist and known to cause neural tube defects like spina bifida.

Organogenesis starts just after implantation that is one week after fertilization (1-3 weeks).
Birth defects are possible. The chances are less though.

I suggest that you get ultrasound scan between 8th to 12th week which will diagnose birth defects. You may consider termination if scan reveal birth defects.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available for follow ups.