Does Cromazone cause hole in the heart of baby during 21 weeks of pregnancy ?

Question
My daughter is 21 weeks pregnant. Baby has acute hole in the heart condition. Hospital checking to see if my daughter has the cromazone in her that will affect future pregnancies. Can you tell me more about that please.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Birth

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

Baby with hole in the heart may be an atrial septal defect or a ventricular septal defect. The exact cause of such congenital disorders is not known.

It can be due to hereditary factors, genetic disorders like down's syndrome, smoking in mothers, etc. can be the cause.

Usually amniocentesis is done to do chromosomal mapping to identify any chromosomal defect in the baby as down's syndrome is associated with other congenital anomalies also.

If the genetic defect is found then there are chances that her next baby might be affected with the same problem.

I hope my answer is helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does Cromazone cause hole in the heart of baby during 21 weeks of pregnancy ? 2 hours later
The hole in the heart has been diagnosed as "acute" as it is in the centre of the heart and connected to the breathing tube. Sorry about the layman terms. There is no heart problems in the family and my daughter is blaming herself because of her smoking. she is going to Brompton Hospital for the cromazone tests and I am wondering about the results showing that this might affect future pregnancies even without a family history. Just trying to get some info as my daughter is so upset and I need to know what I am talking about. As long as she is alright I can cope with no baby , don't want her to go through a still birth or anything. Sorry to ramble but I know you will understand.Hospital have said high chance of baby being damaged. Somehow I need to convince her it isn't her fault.Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The heart problem communicating with trachea seems to be a fistula. The exact cause is difficult to identify. After the chromosomal mapping, it might be possible that the baby has a chromosomal defect which will not necessarily be transferred to the other children. It depends on the defect found.

Maternal smoking is only one of the contributing factors and is not the sole reason.

Self blaming is not going to help. Just remain close to her and give her a good emotional support.

Hope I have provided the information which you were looking for.

Wishing your and your daughter good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does Cromazone cause hole in the heart of baby during 21 weeks of pregnancy ? 7 hours later
Thank you so much for your help I do appreciate it. Will stay close to my daughter and hope for the best. Best regards. Helen Maybank

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
You are most welcome.