Does Citalopram affect Implanon in any way? Is there a chance to get pregnant?

Does citalopram affect implanon in any way. Is there a chance of getting pregnant
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Citalopram has no reported drug interactions with progestin compounds - etonogestrel (Implanon). And taking citalopram will not affect the clinical efficacy of Etonogestrel. So, getting pregnant is not a possibility.

But, what is important here in your scenario, is that in the possibility that if Implanon has failed for some reason and you become pregnant as a result, then Citalopram is contraindicated and should not be taken without informing your prescribing physician. Because, citalopram is noted to cause heart and lung defects in the foetus if pregnancy continues.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.