Does Chlamydial infection reccur despite taking antibiotics?

Mar 2013
hello Doctor, was wondering if you can help me. I have recently tested postitive for chlamydia. I was prescribed antibiotics and in my follow-up test, I tested negative. However, I am still feeling a little tingling in my penis and feel that I am urinating frequently. Is it common for some symptoms to persist even after being treated and testing negative?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Could you tell me how long back was the infection diagnosed, and when did you test negative for the same ? Chlamydial infections are notorious for recurrence and persistence. Also, it is sexually transmitted, so it is vital for your partner ( s ) also to be treated. If this was not done, the infection might keep getting transmitted back and forth repeatedly. Was this done in your case ? Similarly, if the symptoms are reappearing, then a re infection is likely. This would need to be diagnosed and treated with higher antibiotics this time around. This occurs in around 10 - 20 % of patients with Chlamydial urethritis. If the infection just recently cleared away ( I mean, if you tested negative just recently, only a few days back for example ) - then it is possible that the residual symptoms of the UTI are lingering, and they would clear off in a few days. Please drink lots of water, atleast 4 - 5 litres per day. Refrain from sexual activity unless your partner too has been treated. Please let me know the requisite details I asked for, so that I can help further. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Does Chlamydial infection reccur despite taking antibiotics? 8 minutes later
Tested positive on December 4th. Tested negative on December 19th.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: RE INFECTION LIKELY Detailed Answer: Well then by now the symptoms should have definitely subsided. It is possible that you are having a re infection, particularly if your partner was untreated.
Follow-up: Does Chlamydial infection reccur despite taking antibiotics? 30 minutes later
There is no doubt that they have subsided significantly. I was getting really bad burning when i urinated before the antibiotics and a sharp sensation on the tip of my penis. Now i just feel like i am urinating frequently but no burning at all. And maybe once or twice a day that sharp feeling. Where as before it was constant.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: If the symptoms have noticeably lessened, then do not worry. As I said, keep drinking lots of fluids and avoid sexual contact till they have completely cleared. As you are feeling significantly better, give it a few more days, and it should clear off. All the best.