Does Cefuroxime affect the efficacy of birth control pill?

Mar 2013
I have a question, last Dec. 30 in the morning I took 1 tablet of Cefuroxime Zinnat 250mg due to my UTI, only 1 tablet doctor. Last XXXXXXX 5 at 2:00 in the morning we had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. Am I still okay doctor? Just took 1 tablet only and no more. Does the antibiotic lessen the effectiveness of my pill? I've been religiously taking XXXXXXX Pill on time for 6 years already. Was I safe at the time we had sex with my boyfriend? Hoping for your soonest reply..thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: DO NOT WORRY, YOU STAY PROTECTED Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Just one tablet of Cefuroxime would not affect the efficacy of your birth control pill. Yes, you would be safe and protected. Also, I do not understand how a single tablet worked , or was prescribed for the UTI. Anyways, to address your concern, do not worry. It will not affect the birth control pill, as it was just a single tablet. A prolonged course of antibiotics would have lessened the efficacy. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Does Cefuroxime affect the efficacy of birth control pill? 21 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply. I read from the internet that if you take antibiotic medicines while on pill, you need to use back up when having sex or wait for a week to have unprotected sex. so this means it should be prolonged used of antibiotic will lessen the efficacy of the pill? But Zinnat 250mg, if taken longer, does this medicine affects effectiveness of XXXXXXX pill doctor? hoping for your soonest reply, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Yes, antibiotics do lessen the efficacy of the pill. If you take the antibiotics for say, 5 - 7 days, then you need to use a backup method such as condoms , as that month, you will not be protected by the pills. The antibiotics interact with the pills, thus lessening their effects. But a single tablet will not have the same impact. All the best Please feel free to contact me directly at WWW.WWWW.WW