Does Cefdnir reduce the effect of birth control pills?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I am taking junel fe for birth control and taking antibiotic cefdnir 300 mg will that affect this type of birth control? If so will plan b work?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi You are right. This antibiotic is going too have interaction with birth control pills you are taking. The protection of birth pills is reduced. Hence it is advisable to use another more of contraception. It is better to use barrier contraceptives like condoms to prevent pregnancy chances. Because pills as plan B too have interaction with this antibiotic. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Does Cefdnir reduce the effect of birth control pills? 57 minutes later
When I read on Plan B one step is it made of a diff type of hormone that is not affected by antibiotics?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is Detailed Answer: Hi Plan B is made by a different type of progesterone hormone. This is also affected by antibiotic. Though not as much as regular birth control pill but does reduce its potency. Hence difficult to assure complete protection. Condoms are best for protection. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol