Does Bendictin intake during pregnancy lead to defects in child?

I was given Bendictin for morning sickness in the first week of pregnancy. My child was born with major birth defects including half and fused vertibra, fused ribs, her head closed very early so she is 4' 6" tall. She is missing at least one digit on her pointer finger, very small head, walks with a gait and she also has numerous other problems like her spine is extremely curved. She under went spinal fusion in 1988, but it did not seem to make a difference. She is in constant pain from her spine. She is no longer working. She slipped and fell and hurt her spine. Eventually she was granted Social Security. She has some of the symptoms of Russell-Silver but she had a normal birth weight of 6.6 lbs. She was delayed in all her development at least one year. She is now almost 34, and wanted a "furbee" for her Christmas gift. I had remarried and have two normal sons with no birth defects.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for using XXXXXXX I would like to help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am so so sorry to hear about your daughter. I am sure it must be very difficult for you and for her, but it sounds like you are a very strong family. Bendictin is now marketed under a different name, "Diclegis" and it is approved by the FDA for treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. It is considered a "category A" drug, which means that it has been tested in pregnant women and that it has been found to be safe. Unfortunately, sometimes conditions like your daughters can happen randomly, and it is most likely that it would have happened whether or not you took the drug that you were prescribed. In the case of the drug you were given, the scientific evidence has demonstrated that it is indeed safe to use in pregnancy. I am sure that knowing this information will still leave you with many questions, but the best way to answer them would be to meet with a genetic specialist, or a doctor who specializes in congenital disorders. I would guess that you have probably already done this extensively, and that they have probably already reviewed with you what the possible causes are of her condition. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I would be happy to help, and I wish you, your daughter, and your entire family the strength to get through the trials that you are confronted with. regards,