Does Avelox treat acute appendicitis?

does avelox 400 MG treat acute appendicitis ? Or is somethoing else used in its place ?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. David Okia 6 days later
Brief Answer:
Surgery appendectomy

Detailed Answer:
Good morning
Based on my experience once I confirm diagnosis of acute appendicitis I immediately proceed to do appendectomy (removal of appendix). This operation is followed by course of antibiotics like Avelox. This practice is backed by surgical guidelines and appendectomy is standard treatment for acute appendicitis.
Avelox is an antibiotic that is used to treat bacterial infections, it can be used in pre operative and post operative management of acute appendicitis but in my opinion it does not replace the operation.
Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you, if you have other queries.