Does Antihypertensives, Cholesterol lowering, Anti ulcer drugs, Anti Psychotics medications cause weight gain?

Hi Dr,

I am on the following medication;

Atenolol 50 mg
Clopidogrel 75 mg
Aspirin 100mg
Simsvatatin 20
Lamotrigine 50 mg
Risperidone 1 mg
Lexapro 20 mg
Omeprosole - 20 mg

And I also take Usana's Anti toxins, Essential vitamins, and Fish Oil.

Can I ask you whether you know if any of these cause a person to put on weight? I have been trying to lose weight, and am on a strict diet, but it seems tough to lose the weight...I do go for my walks in the morning and do some stomach exercises and some push ups too.

Or do I just need to cut down on my chocolates? ;0-)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

The medicines you are taking are Antihypertensives, Cholesterol lowering, Anti ulcer drugs, Anti Psychotics.

Out of all these medicines, Risperidone, Lexapro and Lamotrigene do cause weight gain as a side effect on prolonged usage. Almost all the anti psychotics and anti depressants show this effect.

You need to consult your psychiatrist to readjust their doses according to your symptoms to minimize their weight gain side effect. He might also consider giving you some other antidepressants with lesser propensity to cause the weight gain.

Chocolates too is a factor for weight gain. You need to cut on chocolates too.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Does Antihypertensives, Cholesterol lowering, Anti ulcer drugs, Anti Psychotics medications cause weight gain? 18 hours later
Hi DrRakhi Tayal,

I am pleased to hear from you. Is there anything else I can do to try and lose weight?

I think the usual tummy area is where I wish to get rid some fats from.

Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Following steps will be helpful to reduce weight:

• Buy one weighing machine preferably digital and measure weight every week, on a fixed day and on empty stomach in morning. Write weight in front of date in calendar or diary.

• Most important thing to lose weight is to remain motivated towards your goal. So fix your goal in form of target weight like start with target of 75 kg. Now you have to reduce 11 kg to achieve this goal. Target around 2 kg weight reduction in every month as it will not disturb physiological functioning of body. So it will take around 5.5 month to achieve this level.

• Inform your family members about your plan to reduce weight as it will help to continue your motivation towards your goal.

• Make your dietary chart as what have you eaten in last day and calculate calorie value of that food. You can get calorie value of food items easily on net.

• Restrict your calorie intake around 1500 k cal per day. Eliminate food items containing sugar and fat from your diet. Increase consumption of salad and fruits in your diet as it will mobilise your fat. Using these principle and according to your dietary habits prepare your own diet chart and stick to that plan.

• Do not try to reduce weight very fast as it is harmful to health.

• In exercise plan: Incorporate aerobics and brisk walk in your exercise plan at least for 30 min a day.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you an early recovery.