Does Amoebriz help in pinworm treatment?

Rheumatologist
Question
I have taken two treatments of amoebriz (2 pills each time about 3 weeks apart) and still have pinworms. Will taking amoebriz again - only this time 2 weeks apart to kill adults and babies have adverse effects?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is safe Detailed Answer: Hi I’m Dr Alok, pleased to assist you Amoebriz is relatively safe drug but some time minor complains like transient abdominal pain, diarrhea etc can occur. It can be taken safely with cholesterol medication. So if you want, you can continue treatment without worry Now a days, this is not considered as first line treatment drug for pinworm, there are many other good alternative available--like albendazole , pyrantal etc available, you can discuss with your doctor. Hope this will help If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate Dr Alok

Follow-up: Does Amoebriz help in pinworm treatment? 3 hours later
Thank you for the recommendation. I ended up emailing my regular Doctor and he also recommended Zentel (albendazole) 200 mg. How long before eating do you take the zentel or how long after eating? Can I just swallow them or do they have to be chewed? Should I cut down on drinking juice or eating fruit while treating for pin worms? Does food/drink I consume make a difference as to how virulent the worms are? I have begun taking the zentel.

Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: no precaution for albendazole Detailed Answer: Hi Let me answer you one by one How long before eating do you take the zentel or how long after eating? -- no relation with food Can I just swallow them or do they have to be chewed? -- swallow with any fluids Should I cut down on drinking juice or eating fruit while treating for pin worms? --no, it is not required Does food/drink I consume make a difference as to how virulent the worms are? -- no I have begun taking the zentel -- yes start it hope this will help Dr Alok