Does Adderall cause a positive methamphetamine screen and hypoglycemia?

Can Adderall cause a positive methamphetamine screen. Does drug use cause HYPOglycemia? My son-in-law is being evaluated in an Emergency room. He has a positive meth screen (is on Adderall) and has medical marijuana card from Oregon for treatment of a genetic back condition. His blood sugar is 24 and the say that they have a hard time keeping it up and he's incoherent. The nurse is adamant that it's because he uses "white drugs" He just had significant dental work done. I'm concerned that it could be sepsis.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Adderall does not cause hypoglycemia. Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, Adderall is composed of Amphetamine and will obviously test positive for methamphetamine during screening. Adderall does not cause hypoglycemia. A persistent severe hypoglycemia (with blood sugar of 24mg%) is seen usually in acute adrenal glands failure/insufficiency or an insulin-producing tumor in either pancreas or other organs of the body. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal