Ask a Urologist   »  

Does '98 million per ml,20 percent active 70 percent dead 10 percent sluggish' indicate normal sperm count?

Jul 2016

hi doctor, I have semen analysis done on 29/12/2013 my sperm count is 98 million per ml, 20 percent active 70 percent dead 10 percent sluggish pus cells 7-8 hpf. .. semen culture says no growth seen after 48 hours. what does it mean. is it normal? do I have anything to worry? I have done this test in septemher as well, at that time active sperm were 50 percent and immotile were 50% pus cells 2-3 hpf with heavy growth of klebsiella. I had taken ceftum for two weeks then. 2. I also feel that I urinate more than usual and some time during night as well. 3 I also feel mild pain in right groin area, and some time lower right abdomen just above right groin. this pain is not too much but has been continued for few months. 4. I have also done hba1c test done which is 6.98 5. my age is 31 and I am married.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: It s due to abacterial Prostatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts and report of your semen analysis that you have posted it appears that your present semen analysis report is within near normal limits of WHO standards except the fact that % tage of active motile sperm is slightly lower than normal but within the range(15-20%) accepted by infertility centres all over the world and presence of 7-8 pus cells which suggests infection of either prostate or Seminal vesicle. You have increased frequency for urination and pain in groin which strongly goes in favour of infection of prostate (Prostatitis) .You have taken Tab Ceftum for two weeks as a result of which your semen analysis done recently does not show growth of any organisms. Prostatitis takes long time to get resolved completely and one needs to take antibiotics for a minimum period of 4-6 weeks to eradicate the infection completely. Please continue taking antibiotics for one more month this will help to eradicate infection and repeat semen analysis after 6 weeks. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Does '98 million per ml,20 percent active 70 percent dead 10 percent sluggish' indicate normal sperm count? 10 hours later
Thanks Doctor, I have taken ceftum last month.should I continue with Ceftum200 mg for another 4 weeks? Also, my wife is suffering from reoccurring yeast infection since August, this was the reason why I have got semen analysis done in September. have taken 1 day medicinal course for Candida twice in last for months. last time I have taken it around 15 Dec.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Both of you have to take medication. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Please take Ceftum for one more month and repeat your semen analysis after 6 weeks. As regards treatment for Candida infection both of you have to take anti fungal medication like Fluconazole for minimum 10 days to eradicate it completely. Please practice safe and protected sex till she is free from fungal infection. Thanks and Regards Dr.Patil,.