Doctor suggested for surgery on crumbling spine. What will they do?

Spine Surgeon
I am 86 years young - my doctor thinks I may have to have surgery on my crumbling spine. What will they do?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 44 minutes later
Crumbling spine also called as degenerative scoliosis and it happens due to wear and tear of spine with increasing age.
Surgery depends upon patient symptoms. If you have significant leg complaint due to nerve compression then in that case we usually do decompression by removing posterior elements of the spine. However if you have severe back pain due curved spine then we may have to put screws in your spine to correct the curve partially. We call this as spinal fusion surgery.
Decision is made based on the symptoms and medical condition of the patient. Thanks.