Doctor prescribed medicine for abortion. Is it safe to take anti d injection? Safe for next baby?

Mar 2016

I have B negatiive blood. After delivery i get the injection.Now i conceived. I want to abortion. THE doctor gave medicine for abortion. when i take ihe anti d injection? It is safe for my next baby
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 39 minutes later

First thing, you proceed for medical abortion if you want to abort the current pregnancy with abortion pill as per your doctor's recommendation and direction.

After that, you need to collect aborted fetal tissue and send to laboratory for analysis of blood group and Rh Typing. If negative blood group is obtained, you do not need to take anti-D injection. In positive blood group, you must take anti-D injection within 72 hrs of completed abortion. Kindly, consult with your treating doctor regarding this.

Yes, it is very much safe in future pregnancy to avoid certain risk of hemolytic disease of newborn. It is given to all Rh negative mother.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen