Doctor prescribed HIV, Beta HCG and hepatitis B test. Taking hydrocortisone for thyroid problems. Correct tests?

Jan 2013

I'm getting married shortly. My fiancee and I had visited our family doctor for pre-marriage counseling. My fiancee told the doctor she is taking Hydrocortisone tablets for stress, thyroid and hormonal problems, and the doctor asked my fiancee to get the following tests done and XXXXXXX him again with the reports. 1. HIV Monitoring Test. 2. Beta HCG Test. 3. Hepatitis B. My fiancee is upset and she has been crying inconsolably. Her parents are livid. Was my doctor right in prescribing the above tests?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Hepatitis B is the only viral hepatitis virus which is spread by sexual route. And very effective treatment is available. This is mandatory to know the status.
HIV is only sexually transmitted disease and before marriage , this test is also mandatory.
Beta HCG is a marker of hormonal status in female body and as your fiancée has irregular periods, this test is also required.
Human chorionic gonadotropin is extensively used parenterally as an ovulation inducer in lieu of luteinizing hormone.
Your fiancée should understand that both of you have undergone pre-marriage counseling and these test are generally advised.
Prescribing any test doesn't mean that all these test are positive.
I think this will solve your query and cool down worry of your fiancée.
Put your query if you have.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava