Doctor intent on stopping diazapam when it works without increasing the dosage. Advise?

Question
why is my doctor intent on stopping my diazapam when it works for me and as for many years without having to increase the dosage
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 47 minutes later

Diazepam is usually not used for long term dosage as it has side effects like amnesia, confusion, sedation and also can cause tolerance, physical dependence, addiction when used frequently. Though it is a effective drug, it is not used for long term therapy due to its side effects.

I would like to know some more details to understand your condition better and advice specifically.

What is the condition you have for which Diazepam was suggested?
Since when are you on diazepam?
What is the dosage of Diazepam you are on?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Doctor intent on stopping diazapam when it works without increasing the dosage. Advise? 24 hours later
been on diazapam 4 several years more than 3. 10mg a day, doc stopped them dead 3 weeks ago, felt hellish with bad thoughts, seen another doc who says we can work towards reducusing them over a period of time, but i dont want to feel pressured, especially after last experience. help how do i stand legally??can they jst stop them like that or were they out of order?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I strongly recommend that the drug should never be stopped suddenly.

If indicated, it has to be stopped in a tapering manner, reducing the dosage over a period of 2 weeks or a month.

I suggest you to discuss with the doctor the reason for such sudden withdrawal of the drug.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Doctor intent on stopping diazapam when it works without increasing the dosage. Advise? 7 days later
also on prozac, what would you recomend as an alternative to diazapam

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 hours later
Hi again,

I need to know the exact diagnosis, nature and duration of the symptoms you have to comment on the substitute treatment.