Do you suggest me to consult a gastro or ENT specialist for my continuous cold and water dripping through nose?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi Doctor. Last year i suddenly got a high fever when i woke up in the morning. after fever resolved, I started having headache, feel like fainting all the time when i walk, water dripping through my nose, when i bent my neck and chest pain. visited the doctor and he advised to have the MRI. with MRI he was able to see only sphinoidal sinusitis. and he made me test free T3 and free T4. finally they ruled out thiroid issues as they didn't find anything. after some time chest pain went but having stomach indigestion. being treated with Antacids for 6 months nothing worked out. then have given stelbid tablets for 3 months. nothing seemed to work out. Having cold like symptoms when i woke up in the morning. and i sneez water through my nose. I was wondering whether my stomach is causing the issue or nose is the reason. Do you suggest me to consult a gastro or ENT specialist
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably you are suffering form allergic sinusitis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Probably you are suffering form allergic sinusitis/rhinitis.First you should consult ENT specialist. Cold like symptoms,sneezing are not related to stomach. Besides clinical examination you need investigations like routine hemogram,ESR,Allergy tests. Allergy causes chronic inflammation of the sinus and mucus linings.This inflammation prevents the usual clearance of bacteria from the sinus cavity and increases the chances of developing secondary bacterial infection. You should avoid environmental irritants such as tobacco,smoke and odours, which may increase your symptoms. During acute exacerbation you can take steam inhalation.Take antibiotics if there is super added infection. You can also take nasal steroid spray.It is very helpful in controlling inflammation and keeping the patient in long remission. Antihistaminics like Fexofenadine should also be taken. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Do you suggest me to consult a gastro or ENT specialist for my continuous cold and water dripping through nose? 10 minutes later
Thanks doctor for reply. Can infection of sinusitis and mucus linings cause this kind of stomach infection?. since my gastroenterologist says there is nothing wrong with the stomach. he says my stomach has got sensitive to some kind of foods may be because of stress or something else. and advised to take stelbid and Mebiz SR and esphagul. i am taking this for ~ 3 months but seems like no improvement.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: No,sinusitis doesn't cause stomach infection. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM No,sinusitis doesn't cause stomach infection. Your doctor has given you the right suggestions.Stress plays important role in Gastrointestinal upset. Additionally Upper GI endoscopy can be done.You may need proton pump inhibitors. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Do you suggest me to consult a gastro or ENT specialist for my continuous cold and water dripping through nose? 9 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Previous Physician did Upper GI endoscopy and said upper LAX GE junction. and suggested me to take pantacid 40 MG twise a day for 4 months. and I had completed the coarse. then i was given Nexpro for 2 months when Pentocid didnt work. After completing this coarse nothing worked. same headache, vomiting sensation and nausiting feeling didnt get relieved. After this i consulted specialist in gastro and he did some blood, urine and uppper endoscopy. and told nothing was wrong with my stomach. PPIs were not supposed to be given. and gave me Mebiz SR and stelbid. I felt some relief but same symptoms came back. So i was wondering if anything else could be causing the issue for stomach issue and headache and nausiating. Thanks, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: You can take tablet Normaxin thrice daily. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Reflux like symptoms are generally relapsing in nature and all your investigations including endoscopy are normal. There may be some anxiety/nervousness factor,so i suggest you to take tablet Normaxin thrice daily for two months.Along with this you should take another course of Mebiz SR and Stelbid.It will keep you in long remission. If it doesn't help then you should consult your gastroenterologist. For headache you can take tablet paracetamol SOS.If it is chronic then you need detail workup.Headache may be due to tension,migraine,eye/neck problem etc. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX