Do we need to give a gap of ten days after taking FAS-3 kit dose, or can we go ahead for pregnancy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, My wife got a miscarriage (First pregnancy) at the 7th month (on May 1st) and pregnancy was discontinued as some of the baby's parts growth was not good. As per the doctor, it may be becaz of infection in my wife's body. As per the advice of gynacologist, Myself and my wife had taken FAS-3 Kit for 3 times with 3 months gap in between them to avoid infections for the next pregnancy. Third dose was asked to be taken after 80 days from the second dose and 10 days before going for pregnancy trails. By this 30th October, my wife's 3rd period cycle will be over and as per the doctor's advice, we need to take the 3rd dose of FAS-3 kit by 7th of November. We would like to know, whether do we need to give a gap of 10days after taking FAS-3 kit dose. Or, can we go ahead for pregnancy trails just after 5-7 days after the FAS-3 kit dose, which will be right time for getting pregnancy to my wife. Please advise. My age is 32 and my wife's age is 30.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later

The ten days gap after taking FAS-3 kit has been advised to avoid any teratogenic effects of these drugs on the baby. After your 3rd dose on 7th November it is best to avoid any pregnancy trials till at least 20th November.

To have a healthy pregnancy next time-
1) Both of you should try to have regular intercourse during the ovulation days or fertile days (9 to 16 days in a regular cycle of 28 to 30 days duration). The frequency of intercourse during ovulation should be at least every alternate days.
2) Continue Folic acid once a day as it is to be taken 3 months before conception and prevents any neural defect in foetus.
3) While having intercourse ask your wife to keep a pillow under hips for better penetration.
5) Ask her to avoid getting up immediately after intercourse.
6) Avoid stress and have healthy nutritious diet and drink lots of water.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Do we need to give a gap of ten days after taking FAS-3 kit dose, or can we go ahead for pregnancy? 59 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your reply. I would like to have little more clarity on the usage of FAS-3 kit. We had taken the first dose of FAS-3 kit on 17.5.2011. Second Dose was taken on 18.8.2011 exactly after 3 months. Actually gynacologist had advised us to take 3rd dose on 7.11.2011 (which is 80 days gap), if we want to go for pregnancy trails from 18.11.2011 onwards (to have 10 days gap before pregnancy trails).

But, my wife got her 4th period cycle today and it may last till 30.10.2011. If we take the 3rd dose on 7.11.2011, the chances of getting pregnancy after 20.11.2011 (as per your advice) will be very less, as the egg releasing days are mostly in between 12th to 16th (I think). So, can we take the 3rd dose little early on 30.10.2011 (immediately after the period cycle), so that, we can go for trails in between 13th to 16th. Or, if we can not take so, and if we have to take on 7.11.2011 only, then we have to wait till the December mid for right pregnancy trial time. If it is so, will the FAS-3 kit's good effect last till december mid. Or do we need to go for one more extra dose in January or later, if my wife doesn't get pregnancy till then. Please clarify.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It is better to take the third dose on 7th Novembver as advised by your doctor. Do not worry. You can try for pregnancy in the next cycle in December.

The three doses should be sufficient to provide protection for at least next 8-10 months. Your gynecologist can do a better evaluation after clinical examination and required tests.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.