Do vomitting and constipation in a require a medical consultation?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi doctor my baby is 3 weeks old and she vomited yesterday once and today once and she has not passed stools since yday she is having cold should I visit a pediatrician?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not look concerning. Look out for lethargy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool once in 10 days. Alternatively the child may pass stool several times a day or even after each feed and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned.

Occasional vomiting can be present due to regurgitation of the feeds. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given. Babies often vomit when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. Proper burping will ensure that the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe and would thus provide relief.

If the child is active and playful, you need not worry. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less or if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

Let me know if I could help further.