Do vegetarians need to take protein supplement?

Hi Doc, I m doing Gym and my trainer told me you are vegan so you have to take the protein. I m confused. Need ur suggestion. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You can have that in your diet. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Being Vegan doesn't necessitate the use of protein supplements. You get good amount of protein in Pulses , Cheese (paneer). You can even take Soyabean famously known as "Poor man's meat" or in your case "Vegetarians Meat". I personally don't recommend use of Protein supplements for body building, as excess of any thing is bad. You can go ahead with good nutritious diet more of Soyabean. It would provide you enough of protein. Most trainers suggest Protein supplements and even a few also add steroids to them. So, try to be away from this. Eat Good , Exercise Right & Stay Healthy. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Do vegetarians need to take protein supplement? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Varshey. You have suggested the better option for protein instead of the protein powder. I have one more concern here. Few days back I went for Blood Test and report shows that HDL is 39 and LDL is 131. It was advised to avoid or reduce the milk products. I think in this situation cheese is not the right option. I need your valuable opinion. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 hours later
Brief Answer: You can take Detailed Answer: Dear you can take milk and milk products and avoid fat , like ghee , butter. Moreover , you can take skimmed milk , panner. Your LDL is slightly on the higher side. So , you can take high protein , low fat diet. I hope this helps you. If you don't have a query , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.